Monday, March 12, 2012

Homemade Thin Mints

Now, as I proceed with the post of this recipe I am very aware that my mother-in-law will probably send an army after me for making these amazing thin mints she can not eat as she has an allergy to wheat, and eggs, and pretty much everything that is tasty ( I'm just teasing you momma M) anyway, let me put her mind at ease and say I am working on a Gluten-free/vegan version of this cookie..so look for it in the near future.  :)
I have a confession, I have an addiction to girl scout cookies. Not all girl scout cookies, but you know those ones, the chocolate ones covered in chocolate with the minty flavor..yea, those ones. I can still remember the first time I had one, it was at my grandma's house. Growing up we spent our weekends at my granny's house and usually gobbled up ANY and ALL sweet snacks she had on hand. Anyway, thin mints made their way into my life at that time and it would be a few years before I encountered them once again. Once I moved out into adult world I would find myself buying four boxes when the time came, only to realize that this was not enough...one year I bought well over 10 boxes,  freezing them thinking they would last me until next season...I was wrong. Dont judge me! I didn't eat them all on my own! I often had people I would share with, I would give away a box here, a box there. I am a good person, I like to share :)  Anyway, after Riley was born I became more aware of food and what I was ACTUALLY eating. I started reading labels and driving my lovely Ryan crazy with my antics. Then it happened...it was that time of year and I realized I would be a hypocrite if I dared eat another thin mint! Still, I bought a box, cried, ate them, and cried some more. Palm oil or no palm oil, those things have a hold of me!!! I cant help it! I told Riley they were mommy's special cookies and she couldn't have any (I am horrible I know) Then last year, as I came to finishing my last box, (I believe I only bought 2) I ran across a recipe online for 'homemade Thin-Mints'. I'm not sure where I originally got the recipe, but I am so glad I did. Now the season is here once again and I fear that my lack of connection to the public has left me high and dry for more hydrogenated palm oil poisoned thin mints from those cute little girl scouts outside of wal-mart. We went into town yesterday and I did not see one scout :(  my heart hurt a little. Did I really miss out on them this year!? I guess its better this way. And maybe next year the whole cookie controversy will be over and I wont feel so bad about eating them.
Okay, enough rambeling, here is a recipe for some very fancy thin mints. They really are a fancy version, still the soft yet crunchy cookie and lovely mintyness. They taste even better when frozen. I plan on crushing some up and making my very own "Thin-mint ice cream" so stay tuned!
 -Jess
**Baker be warned, these cookies are very time consuming and very addicting and you probably wont want to share them after you spend so much time making them, and I wont blame you :)


Fancy Homemade Thin Mints


Ingredients:
Cookies
1 cup Butter, soft
3/4 cups Sugar
1 Large Egg
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Pure Peppermint extract
1 1/2 cups Unbleached All-purpose Flour
1/2 cup good quality Unsweetened Cocoa powder
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. kosher Salt
Chocolate coating
8-10oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate, Chopped
1 tsp. Canola Oil (you could also use Vegetable or Safflower oil)

In bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg, vanilla and peppermint and mix until light and fluffy. In medium bowl sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Add to mixer and beat until combined. Form dough into two logs using parchment or wax paper (i ran out of wax paper after the first log and just used plastic wrap) Freeze logs for at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350F. I like to line my cookie sheets with Silpat's but there is enough butter in these cookies that it is not required.
 Remove logs from freezer, unwrap and slice cookies into 1/4 inch rounds. Place on cookie sheets and bake for about 14 minutes. Cookie will be slightly puffed in center. Remove and let cool completely. Once cooled, melt chocolate and oil in double boiler, you can also add a splash of peppermint extract to chocolate for extra mintyness. :)  *Now coat each cookie one at a time and let set on wax paper until dried. I recommend letting cookies set completely and then placing them in airtight container and storing in freezer.  This recipe will yield about 58 cookies.
*Things will get messy if you are not careful, but the end result is delicious! 
These cookies are Riley approved.

2 comments:

  1. Just so you know I bought two boxes of the originals and they are sitting in my freezer waiting for you and Ryan. Until you visit So Cal again, enjoy the fabulous looking, delectably tasty ( I am sure) homemade thin mints! I am definitely looking forward to the glutten free version! I love you Fancy Jess from your Fancy Mother-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) awesome! Thanks for reading! I love you too Fancy MIL! <3

      Delete