Friday, March 9, 2012

LEMONS!

I love lemons...something about a big bowl of lemons just makes me happy. I try to always have some on hand and this usually results in me making my awesome "so, so yummy lemon loaf"! This is one of Riley's favorites as she pretty much named it by saying it was "so, so yummy!"  I have said before that this lemon loaf puts my chocolate cake to shame (aside from lemons, chocolate has a hold of my heart) I know, I know, you cant compare lemons to chocolate, but what I am simply saying is that if I had to choose I JUST MIGHT choose the lemon loaf :O   (did i just type that?!) oh well, make it for yourself and you be the judge...its buttery, zesty, sweet and moist! so yummy!

So so Yummy Lemon Loaf 


Ingredients:
CAKE
1 cup organic whole milk
1 tsp. vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup butter, soft
1 cup sugar
1 whole egg (large)
zest of lemon + 1 TBSP lemon juice
1 tsp good quality vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup unbleached All-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

GLAZE
1/3 cup powdered sugar
3 TBSP. Lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350F and grease loaf pan. Combine milk and vinegar in measuring cup, set aside. 
In bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add eggs and mix until combined. Add zest, tsp. lemon juice and vanilla, mix until just combined. 
In a medium bowl sift together flour, salt and baking powder. With mixer on low add dry ingredients and milk alternately into butter mixture. beat for about 1 minute until well combined. 
pour evenly into prepared loaf pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Loaf will be slightly golden. be sure not to over bake or your loaf will not be so, so yummy and moist.
Remove from oven and let cool. Meanwhile combine powdered sugar and lemon juice, whisk until glaze is smooth. pour glaze over cooled lemon loaf..enjoy with a nice cup of Earl Grey :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment