Thursday, July 12, 2012

Fancy Portobello Mushroom Burger

I had my first Portobello mushroom burger at a local bakery/cafe called Thomi's. It was wonderful but I couldn't help but think I could totally make one at home and avoid traveling 45 minutes into town! I decided that with summer time upon us, it might be nice to have some veggie burgers. I am not one to buy or eat pre-made, processed veggie burgers that have god knows what in them...so the veggie burgers I usually make take a little more time to prepare, but not these bad boys! All you need is a few large Portobello mushrooms (one per person, they are really filling), some nice buns, and whatever else you would normal pile onto your burger. So even if you are a meat eater, I really do recommend you give these a try, just once, they are really good and good for you! happy cooking-Jess


Ingredients 
3 Large Portobello mushrooms, washed and stem cut off (3 because there are 3 of us, you get as many as you need :D )
2-3 TBSP olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
3 buns of your choice, lightly toasted (I used Oroweat Crustini rolls, but would prefer ciabatta rolls, unfortunately my local market does not sell them. booo!)
any other topping you like. I put the following: Mayo, dijon mustard, cheddar cheese, red onion, avocado, lettuce, and Trader Joe's Barbecue sauce..because I have a thing for bbq sauce :D


Preheat a medium skillet with 1 TBSP olive oil, wash and dry mushrooms, cut off stems and place in skillet flat side down. Drizzle with more olive oil, let cook for about 4 minutes, flip then cover and let cook another 4 minutes or until tender. season with salt and pepper. Mushrooms will be very juicy so I like to drain them on a paper towel a little before placing on my bun. Set up burger the way you like it and enjoy with a side salad, or even better, some fresh corn on the cob! Happy Summer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment