Monday, September 3, 2012

Weekend : fancy dark chocolate chip Zucchini cookies

Riley's afternoon snack..fresh from the garden 


I think I need to iron my apron :/







My girl 



Our weekend was very uneventful. Ryan was feeling under the weather, so we decided to stay home and let him rest. On Saturday, Riley and I decided to make cookies., well, I decided, it wasn't until she saw me pull out the giant bag of chocolate chips that she decided to help because she knew she could get a sample :)

 Sunday I made my fourth batch of Tomato Jam which is a pretty painful process(did i mention how much i hate chopping tomatoes?) but I know my efforts will be much appreciated. The recipe for anyone who is interested, can be found here.

 I think I already mentioned the high volume of zucchinis coming out of my garden. I have made so many variations of zucchini and was getting a little bored so in my attempt to make something fancy and interesting, I added a cup of shredded zucchini to my chocolate chip cookies. I know it sounds kinda weird, and when Ryan saw the finished product he said "whats that green shit?" which made me laugh, but I also felt a little scared that I had ruined a perfectly good cookie. But they were awesome! and really really moist, even today..two days later, they are still as good as they were Saturday.
 In my attempt to make the most of my time, I also made some hummus which I served with dinner Saturday night. That recipe will be up later this week, but for now you can enjoy this super fancy cookie recipe.
Happy Baking-Jess

Chocolate Chip Zucchini cookies
Ingredients 
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened 
3/4 cup organic granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup shredded zucchini 
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, and salt. In the bowl of stand mixer cream together butter, sugars and vanilla until light and fluffy. add eggs one at a time, add zucchini and mix well. remove bowl from mixer and mix in nuts and chocolate chips by hand with a rubber spatula until well combined. on baking sheets lined with silpats (because i dont like a mess) use a cookie scooper (small ice cream scoop) to scoop out cookies, about 1 1/2 inchs apart. place sheets in freezer or fridge to firm. meanwhile preheat oven to 375, bake cookies for 12-13 minutes until golden brown and puffy. let cool for 5 minutes before removing from sheet, place on cookie rack to cool and try not to eat them all while they are still warm. trust me they are delicious this way so it will be hard, but you can do it! be strong! -Enjoy

2 comments:

  1. what a great way to incorporate some veggies!!

    Jessica
    http://www.jumpintopuddles.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jessica! you should try the recipe! they really are very tasty! hope to hear from you again! xo-Jess

      Delete